Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Gear Review - Cyclocross Race Bike "2013 BH RX Team"

Now that the cross season is over in the Pacific North West I thought I would take some time to share with you the equipment I used.  The good, the bad and the in between.

First up is my Bike:  2013 BH RX Team.


I brought the bike in early 2014 in eager anticipation of the race season that year.  After much time (ok too much time) reading and researching I had landed on three options; the Specialized Crux, Trek Boone and Pivot Vault.  All great bikes but it was not until I got to test ride the Pivot Vault at the local mountain bike park that I knew it was the one I wanted.  I could tell you all about the ride and the equipment but at the end of the day it is all about how you feel on a bike and the Pivot Vault inspired me with confidence.  The only downside was the look.  It just did not wow me and that is another very important part of a bike.  It has to make you feel good when you look at it, and the Pivot did not.  Neither did the others if I am honest.

With a little more research it turned out that Pivot Vault in 2014 was effectively the same as the 2013 BH RX Team and the BH looked fast standing still.  I was told that Pivot had designed the BH but the companies had parted ways.  So the hunt was on for a BH.  Do you think I could find one - nope, and I looked everywhere (including under the cushions of the sofa, you know that's where everything ends up). 

I had given up and decided to order the 2014 Pivot Vault going with performance over looks.  So resigned to the purchase I went into the bike store and was just about to place the order when the store partner said "if you are looking for a Pivot Vault I am selling my cross bike and it is the same just a BH.  Could it be, no it couldn't, really could it.  IT WAS he brought out a 2013 BH RX Team equipped exactly as I wanted and some.  It was a sign from the universe and I brought it on the spot.

I have since used it on the road and although not as fast as my road bike it is no slouch and the geometry on the road makes for a great ride.  I have trained off road and completed 17 races only having to resort to my pit bike 3 times, all as the result of a crash.


I am as happy today with the purchase as the day I brought it.  I am a bike and equipment junkie and all year I have been looking at new bikes, just because I can.  Do tell me you don't do the same.  Sure there are bikes I want and ones I am eager to try but my RX Team still looks great even with race patina, in fact the patina makes it look even better.  It makes me smile when I clean it  and it inspires me when I ride, in my opinion you can't ask much more of a bike.  Oh his name is RED, just in case you ever meet.

Since Purchasing RED I have made a small number of equipment changes and I will review those in separate posts, but in summary they are.

Power meter cranks
New wheels after crashing and breaking them before the cyclocross race season
Disk brakes
Handle bar tape

If I have a complaint it is the construction of the derailleur hanger.  I bent 3 during the race season crashing.  That said I would rather bend my hanger than wreck the rear mech.  The problem was I had to get them from BH or ship them from Europe.  Fortunately I was able to get replacements quickly from BH through the bike shop but it was at a premium shipping cost (next day).  Following the second crash I ordered 2 replacements as having a spare had saved me before only to find out they only had one.  It all worked out in the end.

If you are in the market for a great cross bike and find the 2013 BH RX Team, take it from me it is a race winning bike for sure.  Just avoid crashing as much or as hard as me :)

Until next time Max Life Out and stay Rubber Side Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment