Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Mavic Haute Route Rockies 2018 - The Adventure Begins


Haute Route, Mavic and Team Type 1 logo's

It was last year when my friend and the founder of Team Type 1 Phil Southerland shared his involvement in the Mavic Haute Route as an official charity partner for the event. Phil's stories inspired me and after a little research I decided the 2018 Haute Route Rockies would be my next big challenge.  As a bonus I could do it with my friends at Team Type 1 and help raise funds for a great cause. 

You can help me meet my fundraising goals by visiting my fundraising page, no amount is too small and will make a big difference.

Since the decision was made, training for the event has dominated my life.  From nutrition on and off of the bike, equipment, bike fit and planning.  The training started in December and since then I have spent 261 hours on the bike, ridden 4364 miles and climbed 197340 ft.  My legs have been almost constantly aching, I have had sore hands, feet and nether regions.  Sounds like so much fun doesn't it.  The things we put ourselves through for a challenge.  I could not have gotten here without the unwavering support and encouragement of my wife Sarah.  From nutrition to bike cleaning she has been with me every step of the way.   I am very grateful for the support of my coach and friend Jim Lehman who has kept me going through both the good and the bad and finally a thank you to my nutritionist Scott who helped us dial in different fueling options.  And now after all the training I am packed up and ready for the adventure to begin.



I have trained to race and I don't mind saying I am a little apprehensive as well as being nervous and excited all at the same time.  The event will be at altitude which is a complete unknown with regard to how my body will react.  I have never raced back to back for 7 days so that is also a big unknown.  I doubt myself and have high expectations of myself at the same time ,which I can tell you messes with your head.  The one thing I do know, is for better or worse it will be epic and I invite you to share in the adventure and join me on a journey into the unknown.

Thanks for reading and remember, keep it rubber side down and MaxLifeOut.

No comments:

Post a Comment