Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Training and Cycling Focused Week

With my first Cyclocross Race last Sunday and a week of vacation on hand it has been a bike focused week that's for sure.  After equipping my training room with a Wahoo Kickr and researching training software.  I settled on TrainerRoads and Sufferfest as TrainerRoads has integration with both the Kickr and the Sufferfest video's.  Unfortunately my plan to test the Kickr with TrainerRoads has been delayed by the lack of an Ant+ dongle for my PC (now on order).   To kick my training program off I used the Sufferfest Rubber Glove DVD to figure out my Heart Rate and Power FTP (Functional Threshold Power).  With my training zones in hand on Friday I got out for a training ride, 2.5 hours and 2000+ FT of climbing which according to my Garmin is a new personal road record this year.  I think I have exceeded that mountain biking but I did not have the Garmin to track the ride - oh well.

I cannot tell you how good it feels to be moving into a training plan from worrying about my back and other injuries.  Foundation Training has given me the confidence to read my body and to take action when issues arise.  Oh and I am also providing Sarah with her next challenge, how to fuel me as an athlete - stay tuned for updates.

On the Foundation Training front, I am very excited to announce that I have secured a location and will be giving my first group class next Saturday at 9am with classes planned for both Saturday and Thursday going forward.  I am working on a Foundation Training specific blog and Facebook page.

I closed out the week with my 2nd Cyclocross Race of the season.  A completely different course than last week and significantly faster.  My ride on Friday left my back sore and I paid careful attention to it during the race.  The race aggravated it further as I knew it would but I am really pleased that it did not hold me back much and I am confident of a quick recovery.  Decompression breathing always helps.

In preparation for the race which was 34 mins long Sarah prepared a meal of Steak, Sweet potato, Mushroom and Onions the night before and she also made Almond and Apple muffins (small).  For Breakfast she made Egg and Veg muffins (small) one of which accompanied a banana with Almond butter, hemp seed, cinnamon and shredded coconut with left over sweet potato, onion and mushroom with a tiny bit of Steak.  I felt fueled but not heavy when we left the house.  I hydrated with good old fashion water, no gels or other added rocket fuel.  After the race Sarah had prepared an organic protein drink and about 30 minutes later a Almond muffin and an Egg Muffin.

I raced in the cat 4 35+ group this week and ended up starting right at the back.  I had a lot of ground to make up so I was glade to be racing myself for the most part, well and anyone in front of me that I could get around :).  Throughout the race I monitored my heart rate and was very happy with my second performance.   Here are some shots of the race taken by my wonderful race crew (of one) Sarah.

Here I am sporting a new Jersey.  I was informed that I blended in this week whilst last week I stood out in my red top.  

I really do not like running over these things, but hey its all part of the game :) 





Placing will be published tomorrow.  I was well off the lead pace but pleased with my overall performance.  I pulled the leaders back into view which I did not expect to do.
(Result Update:  35+ Cat 4 Placed 38th)

 Warm cloths and a great Organic protein drink post race, just what is needed for fast recovery

The faithful steed, who would guess just a few weeks ago this was my commuter bike.  No broken parts this week.  BTW below is the condition of my rear deralliur after last weeks race.  Trust me it should not look like that :)
 


I hope you had a great week and here's to a great week to come.  Power Up and Max Life Out.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment