Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Training and Recovery

During the race last Sunday I felt my back complain.  Now to be fair on my training ride last Thursday I felt a pull in my back as I climbed Squak Mountain.  It felt good to climb but that evening my back was a little unhappy.  I used "Foundation Training" to help recover for the race on Sunday.

At the start of the race last Sunday my back was irritated but by the end of the race it was well and truly complaining.  Mostly due to the jumping on and off of the bike to cross the board in cyclocross.

I started recovery immediately with decompression breathing and Foundation Training using it everyday and building on it with the following.

Monday:         Sore and movement had to be considered and planned.
Tuesday:         Active recovery on the Indoor Trainer (Sore but manageable)
Wednesday:   Active recovery in the morning and Endurance Zone 60 mins  (Low grade sensation)
Thursday:      Sufferfest "Extra Shoot" race simulation (Back held up with no pain)
Friday:           Active recovery on Indoor Trainer (Back controlled)
(Today):         Lead first "Foundation Training" group class and ready to race tomorrow.

Before I learnt "Foundation Training" I would have allowed my back to have gotten worse from the ride on Thursday and recovery could have taken weeks or even months.  I love the fact that I have the tools to recover in a week.  I don't plan on testing the theory too often but it worked flawlessly this week.

Oh and the Launch of my Foundation Training Class this morning was great fun.  It is always cool when you can train a spectrum of great individuals from just getting back into exercise and recovering from injury to a 24 hour pro cyclist and have something to offer them all.

The words below say it all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment