Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Crazy Thoughts

I won't tell a lie, last week was tough and the cause of a lot of introspection.  Why, well 4 months ago I  took a risk and changed roles at work after reflecting on my career and personality.

I embraced the role with gusto and learnt a tremedous amount.  Looking back could I have read the role better and could I have seen the signs earlier, yes, but that as they say is the benefit of hind sight.  It seems sometimes the universe is giving us what we ask for even if we don't realize we are asking for it.  Two opportunities have since arisen that I would never have had exposure to. Regardless of whether the opportunities transpire the vote of confidence is humbling.  At the same time I found new friends who provided support and assistance unlooked for which I am truely grateful.

In the depths of frustration Sarah planted a wild seed of thought in my head.  She said "why don't you just quite and we can travel for 3 months" at first I dismissed it, but then everywhere I seem to turn the idea of letting go and traveling presented itself.  Now it could be that I am looking for it, like a color you don't see until you start to look and then you see it everywhere.  Well that is as it maybe but the idea has stuck and we started to look at campers that we could spend up to a year traveling in.  We met with a friend who took a year out traveling, he inspired us and that weekend we very nearly purchased a sprinter camper.  As it turned out we did not buy the camper but did meet a wonderful couple that we hope will become good friends.

4 years ago we purchased a restored 1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper that we call Benny, yes we named him as all good friends need a name.   We have had so much fun in Benny and often talked about living in the van and traveling.  After considering a bigger camper and an Airstream Trailer we came back to the fact that the VW is just a great form factor.  Sure we would like something bigger but there is something about the VW and the VW community that is just, well Cool.  So we decided that if we did do it, it would be in a VW Vanagon.

That lead us to consider if we would travel in Benny and why wouldn't we since we already have him, right.  Well we could but ever since getting Benny we have wanted a Syncro, whats a Syncro, its a 4x4 Vanagon and it could take us places Benny can't go.  Since we are considering a trip why not build our dream camper.  Another crazy thought but why not, it would be a journey that we could document and share and at the end of it have a camper to go anywhere in.

Now let me be clear, I am handy but not that handy, so we called our friend Kirk at Northwesty and started to talk about the idea.   As luck would have it an ideal donor van is available and a Saturday discussing options has left us with lots to consider and next steps to take.

Back to the first crazy thought, giving up work and going traveling.  "Really could it be done", "could we take the plunge"  these are the thoughts buzzing around in my head, very quickly followed by "what am I thinking", "am I crazy" and then followed by "I want to" followed by "It means giving up my job", "what if I can't get another job" followed by "sure I could contract" followed by "do we have enough savings" and it goes on.  Yup, I am conflicted and the decision has not been made yet but the more I think about it the more it seems to make sense.  Time seems to be flying by faster and faster and I can't help feeling terrified that now may be the time.

No matter what a change is coming ...........




No comments:

Post a Comment