Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Sunday MTB Ride: Some days just don't go to plan

Training objective for the day, 3 hours of technical riding.  I should have just stayed in bed, well ok, I did stay in bed too long, and that for a late start.  Prepping for the ride I dropped the tire pressure after remounting the tires (tubeless) the night before.   Happy with the tire pressure I got changed and ready to roll. 

When I returned to the bike I was horrified to find my front wheel was flat.  I think my exact words were "you've got to be kidding me".  Not to be beaten I switched out the valve, as the most likely suspect, reseated the tire and pumped it up.   After leaving it for a bit I felt confident it would hold up.

I hit the trail and quickly figured out I was over dressed.  It might have been cold and wet but not that cold so before long I was wet from both the outside in and the inside out.  Resigning myself to the situation I got down to the business of riding, after all I had 3 hours of skills riding to complete.

About an hour and a half into the ride, my rear tire rolled leaving me with a flat.  I hate it when tubeless tires flat as you then have the sealant to deal with.  My approach this time was to slightly inflate the tube and just pop it in with the sealant.  No mess and a quick change, just not quick enough to stop me cooling off.  Still these things happen and I was back up and running.  Before long I was warm again and getting back in the grove when the rear end jammed up.

Stopping I found the rear derailleur had snapped in half.  Not something that happens that often but you can imagine I was not best pleased about the situation.  Not only did the derailleur snap, the broken half ran up into the wheel, taking out a spoke and putting a ding in the frames drop out.  Oh yeah and it had started to rain again.

I found myself with two options, walk out or try to rig something up.  Well I had my camera and I really did not want to walk out in the rain, so I decided to turn the bike into a single speed and record the situation live.  Yup, no staged or planned recording, just raw as it happened footage, wrinkles and all.  I hope you find it useful.






In the end I managed to get in 1 hour 50 minutes of the planned 3 hours.

Remember to keep it Rubber Side Down and MaxLifeOut  

No comments:

Post a Comment