Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Balance & Perspective

Sharing a reminder the universe gave me over the last two weeks to not take myself too seriously and stay focused on what is really important in life.  I recently took a new position at work which is a  different direction for me.  I promptly fell into the trap of needing to prove myself, which lead to a steep escalation in stress and worry.  As stress increased, sleep became hard which started a spiral of being tired which in turn increased stress.   At the same time another company approached me with a position in California.  With stress on the rise it became easy to consider other options but not necessarily for the right reasons. 

With stress high and a lack of sleep my life performance took a hit.  Whilst I was able to deal with work, I would get home with nothing left for personal development or training.   The realization came interestingly at the interview in California.  I flew to California for the interview and enjoyed meeting a new set of people.  There interview technique needed some work but It reminded me that the grass is not always greener on the other side even when it looks like it is.  I realized I was taking myself way to seriously.

Happily the position was not suitable and I returned far more relaxed.  Since the interview I have remembered to not allowed work to define who I am.  I am thankful for the life lesson and the support of a wonderful wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment