Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Recovery Journey Part 1

One quick decision, a blink of an eye and everything changes.  All the work you put into training, all the goals and plans you had change in an instant.

Everything comes to a grinding halt and survival and recovery become the focus and you are forced into a journey all about  next steps.  That has been my world now for the last 4 weeks.

Did I mention I am a lousy patient, no, well I am.  I can accept a week or so of recovery but then I am itching to be fit and better, but nature has other ideas.  It wants to remind me all the time through this pain or that pain the consequences of injury.  Then there are the meds and aids.  The meds help but introduce their own problems with emotional swings.  The other day I had to switch up medication as the anti-inflammatory was causing anxiety and depression.  I have definitely learnt the importance of keeping the pain medication active.  Oh and then there is the collar.  Having never had one before I did not realize how impacting they are.  It presses on injured muscles, forces me to sleep on my back and rubs where is should not rub, but again I am not complaining (well may be a little) as it is keeping my head on.

Every time something hurts or I get frustrated or I can't do something I remind myself that I could be paralyzed and the journey could be so much worse.  That said, it is hard when you can't sleep or get comfortable but I have to remind myself that the journey is one of recovery and that is a blessing.

For the last week I have enjoyed a major TMJ flare up in my jaw brought on by the collar.  It's not enough to have the crash injuries but now I have a problem brought on by the device aiding my recovery.  If you have never had TMJ I am happy for you as it is like being stabbed in the head whilst having a head ache that just will not go away.  It can also feel very much like an ear infection and today I paid a visit to the hospital to confirm it was not indeed an ear infection - thankfully it was not as that would have needed more medication.  Now it is time to visit my dentist to see what they can do.

Daily Progress

Still suffering from TMJ but I had a break through and slept for 6 hours last night , that is the longest night sleep I have had in 4 weeks, thanks to an increased dose of pain killers from the doctor yesterday.

Keep The Spirits High

One of the most important things I have found when recovering from injury is to do things that keep the spirits high, whilst not always possible I try to find small things to lift me.  After hours of T.V. and You tube I have focused on expanding my knowledge of Steampunk and making simple things when I have a few minutes and can manage the work.  This has lead to the purchase of 2 second had Nerf Guns that I plan to Steampunk.  It also resulted in a visit to the local hobby shop for a short outing, whilst there I look at RC cars and that inspired me.  If I can't get out and ride maybe I could by an RC car and drive it.  Hey it's an extreme sport I could do for 5 mins in my back yard.  Well RC Car ordered yesterday, delivered today and charging.

Another break through this is the longest I have been able to type for a while, although right now I am tiring so I will check out for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment