Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Recovery Journey Part 4 - Day by Day

The one thing about recovery I have learnt over the years is that you just have to take the journey day by day, and this is no exception.  Today marks 5 weeks since the accident and just over a week before I am assessed by the neurologist.

I am now at the stage where the pain can for the most part be controlled but I don't have the energy or enthusiasm to do anything for a prolonged period.  I have gone on a History Channel "Pawn Stars" and "American Pickers" binge with my favorite being American Pickers.  The bad news is that I only have 1 season of American Pickers left and I have a longing for Garage Sales and Junking, this cannot be good :)

Sleep is still the man problem as I am having to sleep on the sofa, it takes an age to get to sleep,  I wake up 3 or 4 times a night and then sleep late into the morning.  Last night I accidently double dosed on Ibuprofen that's how mixed up my mind gets at night.  The good news is that it is not mixed up enough to not know I made a mistake and a call to poison control confirmed I would be ok.   It was still a little worrying for a moment there.

With all situations in life making the most of what you have and finding moments of enjoyment are critical and I keep that front of mind.  Take yesterday for example, we took a trip to Ben Franklin to pickup some paints for my Steampunk Gun project that is quite honestly becoming a saga rather than a project given the time I am able to focus on it.  But I digress, heading out of the store we meet a really nice person.  She sympathized with me over the collar, telling me that she understood how difficult they are to wear.  With my jaw hurting when I speak too much, I was not initially inclined towards a long conversation but she was so nice that we soon started chatting and sharing stories.  We got along really well and I gave her my contact details and invited her to stay in touch.

Both Sarah and I commented on what a nice person we had met and hoped she would email us as finding new friends is always hard.  Well yesterday she did email and it turns out that after reading my blog we had more in common than we knew.   Today I replied to the mail and hope that it is the beginning of a great friendship.

My point is that without the accident or the collar we would not have met and we would have missed out on the meeting.  Of course I would rather not have had the accident but sometimes the universe has other plans for us.

I will not suggest, I am enlighten and will leave the keyboard in a Zen like state with a sense of peace that the universe has it all covered, as much as I would love that to be the case.  It just seems that I am not wired that way, but the one thing that is very clear to me is the journey I am on right now is the only journey I have and it is the journey and not the destination that matters, so it is what it is and it is up to me if I whinge about it or make the best of it.

In the film "After Earth" with Will Smith, the main character uses the following quote, when I heard it, it resonated deeply with me:

If we are going to survive this, you need to remember, fear is not real. It is a product of the thoughts you create. Now do not misunderstand me; danger is very real. But fear is a choice.
 
Ok back to the "History Channel" for me 

No comments:

Post a Comment