Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Adventures in Health - Part 1

Tonight I struggled to pull together a post as there are a lot of things to share but getting my thoughts ordered was another story so I decided to just start typing and let the thoughts come through on there own.  The title solves another problem, what to call the post, and now I have a title and a series to build upon. 

The IBS I experienced a few weeks ago is now under control, but it took some time as it seems that once it flares up the body needs to take time to regulate itself again.  The frustrating thing is that in general what caused the flare up is known however the specific food or combination of food that triggered the event is unknown.   When I think back to how I used to eat my body must have been in a constant state of stress that combined with physical and mental stress, well you know the story.

Choosing to eat healthy in todays world comes with a raft of challenges that have forced an otherwise unwilling individual (me) to think about what I put into my body on a daily basis.  I now realize that the food we eat defines us, not a hard concept to grasp really but one I was unwilling to accept.  I always told myself I did exercise to eat what I liked and I did, allowing myself to be pushed around by the health fads and good guidance provided by those that know better than me, oh and want to make a profit out of me.

When you think about it, it is not hard to understand the value of vegetables and whole foods but all those other interesting dishes sounded so much more interesting and tasted so much better.  One of the most interesting things I have experienced has been the change in my taste.  I just had no idea how salty and sweet everyday food was until I started to reduce and eliminate them.  A couple of years ago I was caught out travelling and really hungry.  I thought I would get a burger after all one burger could not hurt.  This was in the early stages of the diet change when I exercised an 80/20 rule that looking back was probably a 60/40 rule.  Even then the burger tasted like candy, I could not believe it, but there it was sweet meat literally. 

Today, I just don't eat out as every time I try I am disappointed and I risk an unknown ingredient that could trigger problems.  I would like to say the food I eat is better in everyway but the truth is sometimes it is boring or bland and other times it is a compromise and the constant challenge is to make it interesting which Sarah manages to do most of the time.  I see the effort and thought she puts into keeping me eating well and I recognize how difficult a road it is to travel.  But the journey is so worth it and everyone should have a Sarah.

There is something great about knowing you are eating well, it is a sense as well as a feeling not to mention a real impact on the body and well being.  Weight regulates itself and the body is able to fight infection and heal faster and more effectively.   I have experienced all of these effects.  When treated right the body can heal and I am eternally greatful for the fact that I am able to have such great adventures and be as active as I am today given that just over a year ago walking to the mail box was a goal.

As I continue with Adventures in health I will continue to share how the lifestyle we have chosen is impacting our lives and how I have used it to help overcome injuries and set my sights on friendly competition next year (now that I understand my limiting belief).  Oh and today I paid off my new Road Bike, pick it up in October - can't wait.

Remember to think great things, be a great person and power up your life everyday manifesting the life you truly want to live.

Nature is a wonder - take the time to appreciate her



1 comment: