Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Injury Recovery Part 25 - Mixed Emotions

It's Saturday night and I am feeling tired and a little low which might influence the tone of today's post.  That said I don't have a lot to be low about I think it is just the result of two crappy nights sleep.  The fact is that I have now been pain killer free for 48+ hours which is a significant breakthrough.  I stopped the pain killers on Thursday and unfortunately I had a really restless night. 

Yesterday I was determined to celebrate the improvements and spend some quality time with the amazing Sarah in the evening.   We got dressed up and went out for a nice dinner.  It was really nice to get dressed up and go out.  The unfortunate thing was that the food was really not as good as we imagined it to be.   The change in the way we eat has really spoiled us as I am sure it would have been nice in the past but yesterday it was a little too salty and really not all that special.  That said we did not let it spoil the night.  What did suck for me was another really restless night sleep.  I tossed and turned and woke up with a tooth ache due to grinding even with a night guard.

Today was spent browsing the stores and catching up with a couple of friends.  It is really exciting to see our friends at DAS Mule expanding the business with a soon to be opened fabrication shop and then to stop in on our friends at Pacific Bike a Ski and spend a few hours chatting and catching up, oh and buying a new helmet.

It was weird buying the helmet as it surfaced some strange emotions.  I really wanted to get a different helmet but I ended up with the same model that I crashed in for the simple fact that it was the best fit.  I know it is irrational but I was not super keen on getting the same model although it did in all likelihood save my life.  Talking about irrational, I am piking up my mountain bike tomorrow following repair of the front shocks and a bent front wheel, yup the bike did better than me,  The irrational part is that after spending over $6000 on my dream mountain bike I am not sure I want it any more after the crash.  I am hoping that once I get it back and get out on it that will change but it is not a good feeling.

What was a good feeling was completing my first Sufferfest Session on the trainer at 90% of my pre crash FTP following an 50 minute combined Strength and Foundation Training session.  Now don't get excited my strength training is limited to 5lbs weights but that has been a step up from no weights.  Today I ordered 10lbs weights as I think I will be ready for more towards the end of next week.  I may also be getting to the point where I separate the Foundation & Exercise session from the bike session as this week it has been taking about 2 hours a day to complete. 

Oh talking about Foundation Training after completing over 70+ hours of instruction I submitted my written paper and video for evaluation and full certification.  I got a great mail back but need to submit some addition video footage of a woodpecker and adductor assisted back extension as I did not realize they needed to be included.  I will talk nicely to Sarah tomorrow to help me put it together.  I am even planning new training classes which I am looking forward to starting.

Well that's about it for today, yes I am now going take some pain killers as I really need to sleep well tonight to avoid being a really grumpy person tomorrow. 

Rolling with the punches and maxing life out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment