Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Recovery Journey Part 22 - Happy Haloween

Happy Halloween and wishing you a Spooktacular Time.  This year as you might guess has been a quiet one. I am just happy to have gotten through the first week back at work and thankful for the ability to work from home and for the support of my manager.  Of the 3000+ email in my inbox I managed to get them down to just under 400 by the end of today.

Yesterday was a big day with a visit to my acupuncturist and a massage.  In the morning in acupuncture my therapist did some deep soft tissue work and then in the evening the masseuse worked on my neck which was both uncomfortable and a little disconcerting.  All I can say is I am glad I was in safe hands.  I also had a training breakthrough yesterday pushing my rpm on the bike up to 100 and increasing my power output to 220 watts for 1 minute during my 30 minute session.

All of the work yesterday definitely resulted in me waking up this morning in a little bit or discomfort but a little longer in bed and a soak in hot water got me going.  Oh and a cuddle with Daisy, that one of our pup's in case your wondering.

The teeth are still a problem but the breakthrough has been a reduction in the intense throbbing allowing me to go through the day without painkillers and on occasion pain free, that is until I suck in air or worse still allow cold fluid touch them.  I will say that the night guard has been great and I suspect contributed to sleeping better.

Today I pushed myself a little harder on the bike, upping the intensity for 2 minutes and including standup sessions to work the shoulders.  I also introduced 5lb weights into my floor sessions.  The Foundation Training and exercises are paying off.  At PT today my therapist told me I was doing all the right things and more for myself each day than she could do for me in our session.  This has resulted in me being further along in my recovery in a shorter period of time so we decided to reduce visits to once a week which is great.  We discussed the ongoing tightness/pain in the neck associated with head movement and I learnt that my first rib, that is the one I broke is really close to the collar bone and not at all were I thought it was.  See learning all the time.  She showed me and most importantly Sarah how to apply pressure to allow me to stretch the neck.  She also explained how the muscles in my back as a result of the collar are still compensating for the deep muscles near the spine.  They ache because they are not designed to hold the body up and are working overtime.  The Foundation Training Exercises will continue to challenge the deep muscles so that they turn on and stay on.  It is interesting to feel how sore they feel and how it hurts when I breath deeply.  Nothing like experiencing it to understand it, see there is an upside however small.

Tonight I am going to try and get through the night without pain killers.  As I type this my teeth are throbbing but with the night guard I might succeed.

Early tonight I had to rush out and put the charger on Benny our VW Camper as the house battery is dead as a door nail and tomorrow is the Wet Westie meet up in Marymoor park.  If you like old VW buses come and geek out, oh and stop by and say hello to Sarah and I.

I couldn't have a Halloween post without some Halloween pictures so here are a couple remembering past fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment