Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2016

A few thoughts on Wheels

I thought I would share my thoughts and experience with different depths of wheel rims.  Specifically the effect of cross winds on deep section wheels.  First I have to say aesthetically I really like the look of deep section rims and was lucky enough to purchase my road bike with Enve 3,4s which many sight as the best combination for cross wind stability.   I will be the first to admit I did not even think or consider cross winds when I saw the wheels, I just thought, they are cool and I still think they are cool. 

For the first year of use I really did not know what all the fuss was about cross winds, sure I got subtle bumps on local rides but I put that down to my aero frame rather than the wheels.  I now realize I had it wrong.  It was not until my first decent of Mt Lemon in Tucson that I got to understand the true effect of cross winds.  At 35mph I could feel the wind knocking me around and the faster I went the more dramatic the effect.  As I leaned into a corner it was like an invisible force snatching at my bike forcing me to focus on keeping upright as much as taking the right line.  Again I placed most of the blame on my aero frame although the effect on the steering suggested wheels, I was still leaning towards the aero forks.

Well as you might of read in my Tour of California blog, at the last minute my rear wheel went bad and I was forced to switch to standard rim wheels, in this case Campagnolo Urus wheels.  At first I was frustrated but I soon came to appreciate the switch especially during the long descents in windy conditions.  I was forced to face the fact that 90% or more of my issues in the past was due to my wheels.  I was simply blown away or rather not blown anywhere.  I watched riders in front of me fighting to control their bikes whilst all I had to do was concentrate on taking the fastest line.  So it's not my frame I was forced to conclude.

The most dramatic experience I had was the super fast decent off the top of Lake Tahoe.  In front of me was a coach and I watched the wind literally knock him all over the road.  I was being knocked about but in nowhere near the same manner.  Just watching him was scary and at the bottom he turned around to wait for the rider behind as he was so concerned about the wind.

I still love my Enve 3,4's and BikeRadar has a good review of them if you are interested in learning more.  I for one have a new appreciation for the effect of deep section rims.  From now on I will be more conscious of my choice of wheels for specific rides and conditions and if forced to make a choice of one set of wheels I would go for a standard rim over a deep section one in the future.

I really enjoyed and my Campagnolo wheelset that is for sure.  I hope you found this helpful.

Until next time keep it Rubber Side Down and MaxLifeOut

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts Matt,

    My thoughts on the subject, different wheel choices for specific conditions. Best to have the absolute lightest for climbing and a rear disc and trispoke set for TTs. Choosing the correct faired wheels for windy conditions is a bit difficult.

    ReplyDelete