Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Tour of California 2016 - The Journey Begins with Drama

The months have rolled by and since October 2015 I have racked up 4962 miles of riding in preparation for the big event.  As I sit here in the airport lounge waiting for my flight the scale of the task I have taken on has still not hit home.  Anyone who has ridden a century on a bike knows how that feels, add the requirement to ride at pace, back to back centuries, elevation and 8 days and I truly have no concept of what it will be like.  What I do have is a new found respect for professional riders.

In preparation I met up with my coach in Tucson Arizona last month for a 4 day training camp.  During our time together I got a taste of what I am in for and I am glad I went.  I had never ridden a 20 mile climb before and I learnt a lot.  Mt Lemon was beautiful and a great training ground. 

The week before

The week before was supposed to be easy and restful.  Get the body ready and arrive recharged and ready to go.  Well that was the plan, however the universe had other ideas for me. 

Whilst in Tucson my bike started to develop a creek and Even though I am hearing impaired by some cruel twist of fate I can hear the smallest noises my bike makes.  I had hoped it would be ok for the trip but on my last big training ride the sound got worse.  I suspected it might be the bottom bracket.  The cups could be worn was my thinking so with just over a week left, I decided to change it.

Easy, I found an BB386EVO bottom bracket with great reviews from Hawk Racing and ordered it express delivery along with the tools necessary to get the job done.  Two days later I was installing it bright and early on Saturday morning, one week before I fly.  Once pressed in I was shocked to discover the bearings felt like they had sand in.  With nothing to be done until Monday I thought maybe  they have special source in them and the will free up with a ride. 

Sunday I headed out with a friend for an easy ride and to my delight no noises, problem solved or so I thought.  Once back I took off the cranks in anticipation of free running bearings only to discover they felt the same as before. 

Monday morning I called Hawk Racing and after a little troubleshooting ordered a new unit to be sent overnight.  Then in preparation I knocked out the faulty unit only to discover the bearing felt great.  What followed was a number of experiments and conversations with Hawk Racing.  We decided it could be a tolerance issue with the cup anodizing and with no time left to experiment I decided to go with a different unit.  A quick call to Bothell Bike & Ski and I was guided to Kogel for a quality unit.  The bike shop could not get one in time but thankfully the site had an overnight option.

I now have another problem, the delivery of the shorts I was depending on has fallen through.  I needed that like a hole in the head.  I place an express order with Rapha.cc.

It is now Tuesday and I attend a scheduled cleaning at the dentist and that night install the new bottom bracket.  It went in like a dream and all feels awesome.  My plan is to test it on the Wednesday night Elements shop ride.

Wednesday, work is crazy as people figure out I will be out of town, my shorts arrive and I am feeling confident my bike is sorted.    As we rolled out of the car park I hear loud and constant creaking noises, my brain can't process it.  It can't be my bike, but it is.   I break away from the ride and return to the shop.  A quick investigation suggests more bottom bracket problems but with no time that night available I book it in for the following day.

Ok I was not in the best frame of mind when I got home that night.  With the bike back in the bike stand I had the cranks off for inspection.  Maybe the torque was wrong, nope.  Scratching my head Sarah suggested I change the back wheel.  Nothing suggested it was the problem and to change the wheel meant I had to set one up from scratch.  With a rear wheel assembled and on the bike I went for a test ride.  Ta Da!!  No noise.   Oh no what now?  Inspection of the tires uncovers a cut in the rubber and that means they need to be replaced.  Given the short period I have had the Continental 4000s II tires I decide to switch to Specialized S-Works Turbos.  I also decide to get a new cassette delivered overnight and replace the chain just to be safe.

I would like to say the whole process went smoothly but, well that would be too easy.  After I installed the first Specialized tire I discovered it was installed with the wrong rotation.  I popped the tire off to discover the bead had torn - really give a guy a break. 

Ok, I am going to rant about tires.  I get they have to fit tightly especially for tubeless rims but seriously, taking the skin off your hands, snapping tires levers and puncturing  new tubes to install new tires is ridiculous, but it seems to be the new norm according to the shops I talk too.

Thursday,  With another set of wheels, new rubber, cassette and chain I head out for my final ride.      I get to the end of the road and find my gears jumping in the second to highest gear.  What the f@$k, you have got to be kidding me.  Back on the stand I adjust the gears and head out.  Still jumping  I finish my ride at Pacific bike & Ski and they take a look.  A little fine tuning and it is better but he thinks the rear hanger is slightly bent.  What to do?  Fortunately I ordered 2 spares for the trip.  I decide not to switch the hanger until I get there as the way things have gone it is likely get damaged in the flight.

I get home and Sarah is ready with a bucket and sponge to help me clean the bike ready for packing.  As I dismount she asks me if I crashed? "No I say - why do you ask?"  She then points out that my bar tape is torn.  It is just one thing after another.  The tape has been on less than a month but the Lizard Skin 3.2 tape has a thin top layer and it had worn through just in front of the break hoods.

To top off the day the dentist cleaning on Tuesday resulted in a TMJ flare up and it feels like someone is stabbing me in the neck and head.  Did I mention this was supposed to be a rest and recovery week?

Friday, thankfully I have the day off work. The TMJ is in full effect but I ignore it as we pick up new bar tape, and yup I mess up the install over thinking it, it is not a big mistake but sure is annoying.

Finally the bike and bags are packed and Sarah has completed the food.   I don't know what I would have done without her as the food alone takes up a good portion of my luggage. 

We finally get to bed just before midnight for a 4:30 wake up.  Guess how rested I feel :)

Saturday - Today,  up at 4:30 and hopeful the last surprise was finding my bag to be overweight at check in costing me more $$.  At least on the way back it will be lighter.

As I sit on the plane and reflect at least all the problems occurred before the trip and the change of wheels in hindsight is a good thing.  I went from deep carbon rim wheels to standard aluminum rims which will offer less of a profile in windy conditions and better braking.

 The journey has started …



Keep it rubber side down and MaxLifeOut



 

No comments:

Post a Comment