Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Tour of California 2016 - Stage 1

It is now 11:30pm and I can't sleep.  Not because of the ride but because I am really concerned about the food I am being given and the ability to fuel for the rest of the week.  My diet is a mix blessing.  Without it I would not be heathy or strong enough to take on the challenge.  But if I make a mistake or just accept food from the hotel I could end up sick and unable to ride.  I want to complete the ride but if I cannot fuel properly then I will not be able to finish despite all the food Sarah made for me to bring.

It is frustrating that the default food offering for someone on a paleo diet is plain grilled chicken breast with boiled veg or plain grilled salmon with boiled veg.  Both of which are not exactly appetizing.  Yes I could eat it but then there is the problem of forcing myself to eat and not being able to and quite honestly not wanting seconds which is common for the riders eating from the buffet. 

I hate feeling like I am putting people out or being made to feel like I should just put up or leave especially since I was up front with the requirement right from the beginning.  Lets just say we had a crucial conversation this evening and I am hopeful that it will be resolved tomorrow as this is not how I wanted to feel on a bucket list journey.

Last night we got together as a team at Bill Walton's house .  For those of you who, like me (until yesterday) don't know who Bill is, Bill, that's with two L's is a retired basketball player and television sportscaster and he "Loves his bike" returning for the second time to ride the tour with us.  Oh and did I mention he is awesome.

Introductions were made all around, plans were outlined and after a great dinner we headed back to the hotel for some much needed shut eye, after I had packed and replaced my finish bag and sag bag a few times.

Bag system
Hotel bag is shipped directly to the hotel
Finish bag, stuff I want at the finish line
Sag Bag, stuff I want access to on the ride





Breakfast was at 6:30am with a transfer roll out at 7am.  I set my alarm for 5am so I would have plenty of time to get ready, put my hotel bag on the truck and have plenty of time for breakfast.

At 7am we headed out in the vans to the start line were the bikes were ready to go.  Once we were all kitted up we rolled to the start line for a group photo.

 
Then we were off,  then we stopped, then we were off, then we stopped and that went on for the first 15 miles as we stopped for red lights.   Once out the city we got moving and two groups formed on the road.

In the meeting last night the coaches warned us about not emptying your glass of energy in one go.  It was wise advice especially after my experience in Tucson last month.  So my plan was to measure out my effort based on my power profile.

The crucial point of the ride today was first, the KOM climb up Honey Spring Rd and then the short climbs that followed. 

We rolled into the KOM climb together and when I looked down I was hitting 300+w, not an output I can sustain for an hour climb.  Sticking to my plan I dialed back my effort and let them go.  I then settled into a steady climbing rhyme.  After the initial surge I slowly began to reel them in.  It was a great climb with lots of supporters on the side of the road cheering for us.  By the top I had caught all but a few of the lead riders and had managed to keep my enthusiasm in check and energy in the glass.

We then headed back into the city and the red light intervals started up again all the way until we rolled across the finish line tired and happy to have reached the end of stage 1 safe and sound.

 
 

 
As we rolled in the team trailer was ready for us with our finish bags, cold towels, food and drink, along with VIP passes. 
 
The atmosphere was electric and the noise deafening as the riders charged in with Peter Sagan taking victory and the overall leaders jersey.

With the pros in we headed out for a 3 hour transfer to the hotel and the start of stage 2.  Due to the transfer time the massage for the day was cancelled and my dining experience, well that was what it was. 

I did get to stand behind Sir Bradley Wiggins in the food line.

Here are a few more pictures from the day and when I have time to review the filming I will add anything that is interesting
(Pictures of the start line and me climbing taken by the CTS team with there permission to share)









Keep it Rubber Side Down and MaxLifeOut ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment