Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Urban Road Warrior


What a dramatic title, well that's how I felt astride my fat electric bike.   I needed to be in the office today and after spending so much time riding I did not feel like driving.  On the other hand I also did not feel like getting changed into my cycling kit and then getting changed when I got to work.

Then I remembered, this was one of the purposes I purchased our Sondors electric bikes.  The purchase was a bit of an experiment and todays was a chance to put the experiment into practice.  I was a little nervous that the bike would not have enough range but having been out with Sarah on hers I estimated it would be fine.

You might be thinking, "What's the big deal if the battery runs out, you are a strong rider, just ride without power", well that was my thought until I tried to ride the bike without power.  It is like trying to move an anchored lead weight. 

I headed out and soon discovered that although I had assist it still took effort to ride.  It did however have enough range to get me to work where I could recharge the battery.  What's more the energy output was low enough to keep sweating to a minimum, which was a good thing as I did not have a change of clothes.

On the ride home I passed a couple of riders and I have to admit as a cyclist I felt a little dirty, but only for a moment. 

Experiment over, I estimate I put in 40%-50% of the effort it would have taken if I had ridden my road bike.  So I got a little active recovery and passive exercise whilst avoiding the traffic and breathing some fresh air.  I will take that.

Remember to keep it Rubber Side Down and MaxLifeOut.



No comments:

Post a Comment