Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tour of California 2016 - Stage 4

Completed 112 miles, 7,743ft of elevation

The alarm went off at 5am this morning and it felt like I had just put my head down after finally getting to bed at 12am, damn I was tired.  Surprisingly I did not feel too sore, that anti inflammatory injection in the butt must have helped.

Packed up and ready to go I headed to the vans for 5:45am  and an hour transfer to the start.  Due to the early start scheduled for the pros the plan was for us to start on the course making it a little shorter for us.  Due to finding a location on the course to  park the bike trailer and kit up, it only ended up taking around 10 miles off the pro distance.

It was a foggy morning by the coast and I started with overshoes and a wind jacket.  We rolled out and instantly my glasses fogged with the mist making visibility a problem.  About 30 mins into the ride I wiped my glasses with my glove and a lease popped out.  We were traveling at 24 mph and leaving it crossed my mind.  Instead I slid back and turned around to find it.  I glad I did as It would have been a pain later in the day when the fog cleared.  As I went back I let the riders know but at that speed I don't think they heard me. 

I recovered my lense and then headed after the group.  With the head wind it quickly became clear I was not going to bridge the gap.  Fortunately one of the coaches dropped back to pace me back to the group after delivery a reprimand for not letting them know.  Being tired, sore and off the back of the group I was not particularly receptive to the talking to but I am proud for restraining a retort and instead saying that I had, but clearly no one heard me.  He was not a happy chap and I know it was said out of concern for keeping us all safe which I totally respect and appreciate.   Discussion over he then proceeded to tow me back to the group ahead.

The coaches are animals and spend all day pulling the group and riding up and down the line.  With an engine in front we soon rejoined the group.  For me it came with the cost of burning energy I could well of done with keeping.

From then on we stayed together until we broke into two groups.  I rode in the front group and we spent the entire day in a pace line until the penultimate climb were we all broke apart.

Let me say highway 1 is very scenic but it is certainly not flat and my legs today can attest to that.  At the 3rd KOM I had a little dig and was beaten to second over the line.  The big surprise was the last climb, it was long and brutally unrelenting followed by a fast decent and then a 16 percent kick in the pants.

I was riding strong  as we entered the last clim and stayed with Jaso n who beat me in the 3rd KOM.  We were just behind two other CTS riders and bridging the gap.  Don't get me wrong I have no delusions that I am a stronger rider than him, but it is good to have someone that challenges you.  I was matching him up the climb but glances at my numbers told me I could not sustain it.  I decided to let him go and boy was I glad I did.  I don't think I would have made it if I had kept going as the hill just kept kicking up.

I crested the climb and saw the sag van.  They told me the others had rolled through so I followed suit.  After the decent I hit the raceway climb to the KOM.  I had no choice but to turn myself inside out to finish.  I came home  around 3rd in the group but a little frustrated I did not enter the race circuit and cross the finish line.  Not that anyone is actually watching but after 112 miles it would have been nice.

Although CTS have access to the finish line it seems that no one  one has told the officials as they have tried to stop us at every stage.  Blocking the way yesterday and knocking me off the bike to add insult to injury for the day. 

Today I was guided the wrong way and did not get onto the raceway to finish the last 2K.  When I found out where it was I had no energy or desire to backtrack up hill and then ride the circuit instead I settled for food, drink and a walk to the VIP tent to see the race come home.

With the race in it was time to head back to the van for a 2 hour transfer to the next hotel. We are staying in a different hotel from the pros but shuttled over to the food hall.  The tension of the last few days seems to have worn off and the teams seem more relaxed.   It would be great to interact with them but it is there time away from the press and fans and we need to respect that.

At least I will get a massage tonight having missed yesterday.  I won't lie I am feeling tired and tomorrow is another big day of climbing.

Misty morning start
Jason got stung in the ear by a bee - now that sucks


Bike hand off, change and food before watching the race come in


Bike fans enjoying the event
 
Random snap at the finish
 

Thanks for following along and remember to keep it Rubber Side Down and MaxLifeOut ....

No comments:

Post a Comment