Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Paddle Board Selection (Hemel Hollo 11)

Just got back from another great time on the water with the guy's from Hemel Board Company who we decided to buy our paddle boards from.  We tested there board's on Saturday and after deliberating hard we pulled the trigger yesterday and they are now in production.

We selected the Hollo 11 which is there 11ft board.  The board comes with a pad and new center grip not shown in the picture below (Full details here)


We evaluated a number of similarly priced boards by different manufacturers and test paddled two other boards before making the decision and it was a hard decision as there is very little review information available to help with making a selection at this time.  We learnt the lingo regarding the different types of boards "planing" or "displacement" and decided a "planing" board would match the time of paddling we are interested in:  Flat water with our dogs to start with building up to surfing and then maybe some competition.  Racer's have a whole other set of considerations that I will not cover here.  The Hemel board ticketed all the box's as did others from REI and local dealers such as Perfect Wave.

Now let me be clear the Hemel board is the more expensive choice and in SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) terms a newbie on the block but there were things about it that stood out to me and influenced the decision.

1.  The guy's at Hemel are confident in there product and are all about the experience and community making it really easy to try there board and welcoming you to the Hemel family should you choose to join.  For us that is an important aspect of the sport and worth a great deal.

2.  On the water the board was the most stable and the most agile I had tried.  After riding other boards I was thrilled to find out how easy the board was to turn and Sarah commented on how stable it felt compared to the board she tested a week earlier.  The board glides really well over the water and the board felt alive with only a small amount of swell on the lake.  I feel it is a board that will grow with us and I look forward testing it's limits on flat water.  I can't wait to be good enough to try it in the surf.

3.  The board is constructed differently than nearly all boards on the market.  Making them one of the few Hollow boards available.  This I am assured makes them more durable, easier to care for and therefore last longer.  Although I have little experience in board construction the detail makes sense (Details).  Most boards use an EPS core, here's an example  for Boga Boards.  In there FAQ  they describe there unique selling proposition and how to care for the board (FAQ).  Whilst I am sure there boards are good (I did not get to ride one) the explanation helped me with the Hemel decision as I am looking for boards that will last and grow with us.

4.  Lastly the board in made right here in Washington State, USA.  My research found that many of the boards on the market are very similar and constructed in China.  I understand the economies but there is something good about supporting local board shapers and I am excited to be part of there family.

Shane and I by the Hemel portable cabin (a cool old converted ambulance)


Daisy goes out for the first time

 


What you don't see is Daisy backing me off the board into the water :0) but here she is mastering the board.


Candy Nails it first time.

 Sarah and I rocking it on the Hollo 12.  Talk about a super stable board.


And that is the end of a great evening.  I hope you have enjoyed this post and I hope to see you out on the water some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment