Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Mountain Biking on the 4th

OK so I had intended to take a day off from Blogging but I found myself sitting on the deck enjoying the weather after my first mountain bike ride in 2 years and thought I would share the adventure.

The morning started a little slow as yesterday I planned to get up early for a road bike ride, but like all well laid plan's it felt so good in bed this morning that I might have, kind of on purpose, turned the alarm off.  I was woken by my wonderful wife and treated to breakfast in bed.  Oh I am a lucky man.  Then after a little mapping and planning I thought it might be good to breakout the mountain bike.  At which point Sarah reminded me of last weeks ride.  All done by 10am but I was wasted for the entire day, I am sure I am not the only one this happens too but Sarah it seems did not appreciate a semi comatose husband.  Can't say I blame her.  I Promised to not over do it and settled on a ride to Soaring Eagle Park then on to Duthie Hill then back again to Soaring Eagle park.

My bike is a 2011 Scott Genius Full Carbon with a Three Stage Lockout on the handlebars that allows me to move from 6" of travel to 4" to a full lockout.  This was one of the features that really drew me to the bike and I love it especially when transitioning from track to road.  Before this I rode a Specialized rock hopper hard tail and the transition from hard tail to full suspension has been sweet.


As I tell anyone who asks me I feel grateful and frustrated with living in the Pacific Northwest as the winters are hard especially if you are not fit enough to get to the mountains, but on days like today that is furthest from my mind.  In the summer the Pacific Northwest is beautiful and the local mountain bike trails are awesome for any level, and they change with the weather so rides are always changing.  Today the conditions where dry and fast.

 Leaving the house I will admit to not feeling overly spritely with aches from Yoga and believe it or not from being taught how to throw an American football yesterday for the first time (I'm English so it has never come up).  The nobly tires and the small wheels felt like I was glued to the road and crawling along but that all changed when I reached Soaring Eagle park.


Once in the park the bike came alive on  the twisting single track, lockout disengaged and the suspension allowing me to absorb the terrain with ease.  I had forgotten just how much fun single track is. Before I knew it I was out of Soaring Eagle park and on my way to Duthie Hill.

(Side bar:  Comment for bragging rights if you recognize the Jersey and can remember the Tour and the rider)






Duthie Hill was busy but you can always get away from people if like me your passion is cross country.   I started out hitting  "Boot Camp", where it was cool to see families with the children. I rode behind for a bit then they let me pass and I was able to rip it up after another rider ahead of me Wahooo.  I then went straight into "Moving On" and had the circuit to myself, coming out of "Moving On" my legs started to remind me that I had not done this for a while and maybe I should think about heading home.  Listening to my body, I proceed straight to "Step it up" remembering there was an exit at the bottom.  Ripping down hill was so much fun.  At the top I stopped to take a picture of this little jump.  I am still leery of the more technical stuff and today I avoided it all as I just don't bounce as well as I used to.


At the bottom I missed the exit, "Darn it" but I was having so much fun that I thought heck I can finish "Step It Up" and head home.

Leaving Duthie behind I made my way back to Soaring Eagle park by road.  It amazed me again how the characteristics changed as soon as I transitioned to road, it might also have had something to do with a lack of power in the legs.  No of course not.  Back at Soaring Eagle I had a blast again heading through the park.  Stopping at a map at the same time as some hikers which on reflection I now realize I was a little rude too, if your out there sorry, I just could not breath let alone take my ear buds out and have a conversation, note to self "must do better next time".  On the last stretch of the ride I hit what looked like mud but was in fact a cunningly disguised man trap for unsuspecting mountain bikers as no sooner did I hit it than I found my self flying through the air and landing softly in the brambles, got to love brambles they are soooo good for the complexion.   No harm done an no one to film me and post it on youtube for a life of embarrassment, I headed out of the park and homeward bound. 

Yes I ended up doing a little more than I expected, 19 miles and 1400ft of gain and yes my thigh's did feel like someone was poking them with hot irons when I got home, but no I am not comatose, just a little tired.

Here's to the next out doors adventure and hope to see you out there someday soon :)



No comments:

Post a Comment