Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Set Backs Happen - Don't Let Them Beat You

Set backs happen and they always mess with your head.  The reality is most of us either recovering from injury, changing our eating lifestyle or doing exercise will experience a set back either large or small.  The lesson I have learnt is to not let the set backs dictate who you are but rather you control the set back.  Learning to recover as quickly as possible is the key to staying motivated and in control.  It is after all a "Set Back".  Some things I have learnt are:

1. Forgive yourself, if it was your fault or not it is past, forgive and move on.
2. Accept the situation, don't rail against it.
3. Take action to start getting back on track, however small the step is.
4. Build recovery momentum.
5. Use your support system (family and friends).
6. Be patient with yourself - healing takes time, it is worth the wait.

After hurting my back on Sunday which I was sure was muscular.  My first step to recovery was rest.  Yesterday I did nothing but very basic back exercises, heat, ice, lots of water and massage from my wonderful wife.  By the end of the day the pain had subsided enough to get a good night sleep.

Today I felt good enough to increase motion exercises with basic yoga and foundation exercises.  We walked the dogs once in the afternoon and once in the evening.  both times only half the distance and time we normally walk.  By this evening I felt strong enough to ride my bike but to control the experience I did so on a trainer rather than on the road.

I want nothing more that to get back out there but I know getting out too early could result in another setback, so tomorrow I will not ride to work but limit myself to a planned yoga session, walking and a trainer ride if all still feels good.

If you are in a setback you will get through it. 
 
One of my supporters helping me out

 
 
The back holding up well on the bike




2 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling so much better Matthew!
    Crossfit is going well. I am sore but getting through it. Not bad sore but my muscles are reminding me they are there. I lost a couple of pounds the first week so I"m happy with that. Getting rid of the grains and processed sugar has helped tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and that is great news, stay with it. The book "Wheat Belly" is a great read.

    ReplyDelete