Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Tool for Inspiring Movement

I don't know about you but I have always envied people who seem to have motivation and consistency nailed.  If your one of those people may be you could share your secrets.  If you are like me and find it hard to stay consistent then read on.

I have always loved technology and used devices to help me increase performance in sport such as cycle speedometers and heart rate monitors but I never considered just plain movement.  I was introduced by accident when I won a Nike+ wrist band.   When I won it I can't say I was overly excited and I was really not sure what I would use it for.

Then I got it and it dawned on me that this was not a performance device in the sense that it measured anything particularly accurately and gave no consideration to intensity, but a movement device for letting me know just how sedate I was on a daily basis (and was I sedate).  When this realization hit me I knew how important the device was for helping me stay both motivated and consistent.

How it work, it takes an arbitrary number that is uniform across everyone regardless of fitness level and counts every time you move via a built in motion detector.  By itself the number or count is meaningless however when you compare your daily counts a pattern appears.  You can then set a daily goal that stretch's you as much as you want to be stretched.

This allows you to compete against yourself and hold yourself accountable to your goal.  The net result for me was a transition from walking the dogs with Sarah may be once a week to walking with them almost everyday as I needed the movement to hit my goal.  If I cannot walk in the morning, I will take time at lunch to go for a walk or other activity and if I have not got enough points when I get home the device motivates me to get out and meet my goal.

This is the device I have (it is also sold in black)



There are other similar devices such as the FitBit and Jawbone so you can take your pick.  The message is not what device but what it helps you do - which is move more often.

If you are interested in my experience with the Nike+ let me know as it does have it's plus's and minuses but overall I am very happy with the benefit and value it delivers.

Good luck in your movement Journey.  My girls below appreciate it :0) and Sarah is happy to have me on more walks, the benefits just keep adding up.



No comments:

Post a Comment