Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Surviving Social Events

I hope you are getting ready for a great 4th July.  Today I went a BBQ with the team I work with and it reminded me how difficult social gatherings can be for those of us who have chosen a different eating lifestyle.  Depending upon where you are in the journey social events present three big challenges:

1.  You can't control the food.
2.  You might want the food and feel an emotion to having to make the choice.
3.  Social pressure to be part of the event that manifest's from ourselves and others.

Here's how we might justify participation

1. I deserve to live and treat myself.
2. It can't be that bad if everyone is doing it.
3. Other (you know them as well a I do)

If you are like me and have a condition that flares up if you eat the wrong thing then these events are doubly risky as participating can result is consequences later.  If you don't have any reactions, then the risk of "why not" is ever present.

At the end of the day it is your body and I have to remind myself I am not on a journey to convert others but to live a long, healthy and active life.  Let others choose there path and remind yourself to stay true to yours.

Tips:

1. Can you influence the food and introduce a healthy option, if so do it.
2. Select food you are sure is within your eating lifestyle.
3. Take your own and explain to others you have specific dietary needs.
4. Remind yourself that you might think you want it but do you really and is the cost worth it.
5. Look around you, do others represent how you want to look or feel.

Today at the team BBQ I took my own food and enjoyed a healthy lunch with good company.

Sending you a PowerUp to be Strong and Proud of what you are accomplishing and to wish you a wonderful and safe 4th.

If I feel rested tomorrow I will hit Bike in the morning to enjoy the wonderful weather we are having.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment