Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Recovery Journey Part 11 - First day out of the Collar

Now I know what a bobble head feels like after almost 7 weeks is a collar.  I will be honest and say that last night I was a little nervous about going to bed given the amount I tend to move around at night.  Well it did not work out too badly, it was so much more comfortable to lie down without the collar and I was able to get a full nights sleep in about 1.5 / 2 hour intervals.  That seemed to be the amount of time I could lie in one position before the pain woke me up.  Talking about pain the other breakthrough was getting through the night without the use of Oxycodone.  So all in all I chalk that up to a successful first night.

Talking with Sarah today my spirits are high despite still being in quite a bit of pain.  The difference is that I now feel empowered to take my recovery into my own hands.  Whilst in the brace I did not know what I could or could not do and spent most of the time worrying that my head was about to fall off or something.   Good job it didn't, for me anyway.

What's it like without the collar? Well my neck is super stiff and the muscles are not firing properly after time spent being supported.  My upper body feels like I have done a round with Mike Tyson and pretty much all movement hurts to one degree or another. 

I visited my physical therapist and we are starting to work on movement and tomorrow I have an appointment for acupuncture and with luck a massage.  My PT did inform me that although reasonable discomfort or pain will not do any damage not to push myself and warned me that day 2 or 3 could be more painful than day 1 much like the effects of a hard workout do not show up until the day after the day you worked out.  Joy oh joy, something to look forward to then.

I mentioned getting back to work in my post yesterday.  When I let my manager know about the collar and my plan to return to work on Monday the first thing she said to me after expressing excitement for me, was take your time, I am truly grateful for the amazing support, not having to worry about work is great and allows me to focus on recovery.  This was echoed by my PT after examining me.  As much as I want to get back to work I know it is better to take a little more time rather than go back when I am not really ready - I get it, I do, but it does not mean it is not frustrating.  So the plan now is not this coming Monday but a week on Monday, it will give me time to get some therapy sessions in and figure out how my body is responding.

On the exercise front I managed a standing decompression and a basic founder along with PT work.  Tomorrow with Sarah's help I plan on getting my bike trainer setup so that I can start with 5 to 10 minute spin, it might take a little persuasion as Sarah is not that keen right now.  Everything at this point is about posture and movement.  Helping the body to recover and teaching the muscles that they have a job to do again and that they better get the S@!t together.

No comments:

Post a Comment