Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Recovery Journey Part 15 - 8 Weeks to the Day

It is strange to think that it is 8 weeks today that I crashed and hit the reset button on all my plans.  Reflecting on the last couple of days overall I am happy with my progress.  I have been able to significantly reduce my pain medication but there has been a hiccup.  That hiccup has been my teeth, the TMJ issue has continued to plague me and last night the pain in my teeth and the side of the face resulted in a tough nights sleep.  Today my teeth are not as enflamed but it is the night when things get interesting and as expected they are starting to throb.

Enough about the teeth.  Today I had acupuncture and Sarah counted 15 needles followed by a deep neck massage which if you are thinking that's cool, think again.  As for breakthroughs, I was able to add a  woodpecker, lung and a forward fold to my exercises this morning.  Not deep or long moves  but a definite improvement.  It is incredible how everything is connected and now that I am effectively starting again from scratch I am aware of all the sensations good and bad.  The most significant feeling this morning was feeling the pressure in my lower back release after a forward fold.  The forward fold worked onloosening my hamstrings that were putting strain on my back.  Best of all I got back on the bike.  It was only a 10 minute spin but it was on the bike and a start.

As I downloaded my workout I also downloaded the crash ride, it was surprisingly emotional to see the data.  It suggests that I might have been unconscious for 10 minutes but the data is far from conclusive. 

As much as I wanted to return to work next week I decided to submit and listen to both my body and the advice I have been given, and take the additional week to consolidate and build on the progress rather than risk taking a backward step.   I made the decision as my expectations and progress have been misaligned throughout the recovery, go figure I wanted it to be quicker than it has been, so to those that have told me to take my time, I am listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment