Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Recovery Journey Part 21 - Pace Yourself ...

If you know me, you will know that I am a full on person and my work is no exception. I am passionate about what I do and getting back to it has been both great and a challenge at the same time.  To quote my manager "Pace yourself as you transition back in Matthew" and she could not be more right - ssshh don't tell her I said she was right.

The excitement of returning to work has been tempered by the discovery of friends that have lost there jobs recently due to position elimination.  My thoughts and best wishes go out to all of them during a tough time.

Yesterday was my first trip into the office to meet up with the team and it was a really nice welcome back which was very touching, not to mention a cake that due to my diet I could not eat, but it looked really tasty.  Even here I was thought of as a banana was provided for me, not quite the same as the cake but I'll take it with gratitude and thanks.  It was awesome to start getting caught up and finding out all the great work that has been done.



Yesterday was a pretty full on day with the chiropractor in the morning a trip into the office for a few hours, acupuncture and PT.  I don't mind admitting that when I got home I was done.  Here again however my mind and body were not completely in sync until Sarah grounded me.  I came home with every intention of doing 30 minutes on the bike when Sarah reminded to be sensible.  It was a good job I listened to her as a few hours later I ached something fierce.

The trip to the dentist on Monday seems to have helped and although not the unrealistic remedy I was hoping for, come on you have got to hope right.  The pain has reduced and yesterday and today the pain came on later in the day and ibuprofen nails it completely.  That and a night guard have made for what I would call progress.  I have also noticed that the pain increases not only with temperature and pressure but in line with the amount of talking I do.  So being quiet seems to help and that is something a few people might what to be a permanent fixture I'm sure, but I aim on disappointing them.

Now back to the body, it turns out that sitting at a desk typing is not the best for my recovery or my jaw.  I was reminded by a friend at work yesterday that with my arms forward on the desk typing I would put pressure on my shoulders that puts pressure through my neck and into my jaw.  She is right, huh I seem to be surrounded by smart women, I count myself lucky.  I am listening even if I don't seem to, but it is hard when I really want to motor through everything and get caught up.

Today I paid attention to my body as I continue to work though my email backlog and I realized I need a new strategy.  The first thing I will explore is voice command software (recommended to me yesterday)  and I will let you know how that works out if I can get it installed.

Since today has seen me planted in front of the screen all day I am looking forward to doing my exercises and riding my bike on the trainer I just wish it was not so cold in the room to start with :)



No comments:

Post a Comment